The head of Leicestershire & Rutland Freemasons’ Peter Kinder, together with a delegation of Grand Officers and Provincial Grand Officers descended on the Masonic Hall in Loughborough for a double celebration.
On the 2nd February 2023, the Thomas Burton Lodge met for the 500th time since being consecrated in September 1950. The Masonic Hall in Loughborough was full for the occasion, as the Master of the lodge, Richard Lambert welcomed all his visitors.
During the evening, Peter Kinder asked one of the lodge members, Alan Roberts, to step forward and receive a certificate celebrating his 50 years as a Freemason. Alan was visibly moved by the gesture and thanked all of those in attendance for celebrating with him.
Charity is one of the cornerstones of Freemasonry and was evident during the evening. Over £1,000 was raised in aid of the Wenlo Riding for the Disabled Association, and a further £1,500 was presented by the lodge to the Leicestershire & Rutland Freemasons Charity.
Pictured left to right: Recipient of his 50 years certificate Alan Roberts and the Head of Leicestershire & Rutland Freemasons Peter Kinder.
In 1950, the Howe & Charnwood Lodge consented to be the sponsor for a new Lodge in Loughborough to be called ‘Thomas Burton’s Lodge’. The possessive nature of this name did not meet with the approval of the Provincial Grand Master, and he caused it to be changed to the ‘Thomas Burton Lodge’ as originally proposed in 1920. The Lodge was granted permission by the Governors of Loughborough Grammar School to use the school shield and motto.
The original intention of the founders had been for membership to be restricted to governors, old boys, past and present staff, and others connected with the Loughborough Grammar School. This restriction was not approved by Provincial Grand Lodge and the policy was altered for membership to be mainly - but not exclusively - connected with Loughborough Grammar School.
Founders of the Thomas Burton Lodge No.7007 in September 1950.